Here is what Rick Steves' says about Ravenna: "Ravenna is on the tourist map for one reason: its 1,500-year-old
churches, decorated with best-in-the-West Byzantine mosaics. Known in
Roman times as Classe, the city was an imperial port for the large
naval fleet. Briefly a capital of eastern Rome during its fall, Ravenna
was taken by the barbarians. Then, in A.D. 540, the Byzantine emperor
Justinian turned Ravenna into the westernmost pillar of the Byzantine
Empire. A pinnacle of civilization in that age, Ravenna was a light in
Europe's Dark Ages. Two hundred years later, the Lombards booted the
Byzantines out, and Ravenna melted into the backwaters of medieval
Italy, staying out of historical sight for a thousand years."
I had never heard of Ravenna but while I was searching the internet for tips on traveling in Italy with kids I found a random girls blog. She talked about how much she loved Ravenna and how great it was to see the things she learned about in Professor Magleby's art history class. Well since I also know Professor Magleby I decided that I had better go and check it out.
It was well worth the trip and was a charming little town. Maddy and Scott did not really care for the mosaics but they enjoyed just running around. We had planned to spend the afternoon splashing in the Adriatic Sea but it started raining so we just headed back to our hotel.
Basilica di San Vitale which is 1,400 years old
Some mosaics inside the Basilica di Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, You can't tell by the picture but it used a lot of beautiful gold stones which made the whole room sparkle and shine.
Maddy and Scott would have played on the ramp outside the Basilica di Sant'Apollinare Nuovo all day if I would have let them
Ceiling mosaic at the Battistero Neoniano
Peek-a-boo
No comments:
Post a Comment